Former name retained.
(Str: dp. 14,375 n.; l. 428'9"; b. 53'6"; dr. 28'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 96; a. 14", 16-pdr.)
Iowan (#3002) was launched in 1911 by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md.; acquired by the Navy from American-Hawaiian Steamship Co., New York; and commissioned 23 December 1917, Lt. Comdr. Frank L. Dow, USNBF, in command.
Iowan loaded cargo at Newport News, Va., and sailed 9 February 1918 for New York to rendezvous with her convoy. The convoy departed from New York 11 February for France, where she arrived on the 28th with a cargo of flour, iron, and machinery for the Allied Forces. For the next 16 months Iowan continued transporting foodstuffs and livestock, making nine round-trip voyages between the United States and France.
After the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in June 1919, Iowan engaged in transporting troops back to the United States. She made two cruises for that purpose during July and August, before decommissioning 22 September 1919. She was then returned to the American-Hawaiian Steamship Co