Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ingraham

 

Captain Duncan Nathaniel Ingraham was born in Charleston, S.C., 6 December 1802. He was appointed Midshipman 18 June 1812 at the age of 10 and, after distinguished service, was commissioned Captain 14 September 1855. While in command of the sloop-of-war St. Louis in the Mediterranean, in July 1853, he interfered at Smyrna with the detention by the Austrian consul of Martin Koszta, a Hungarian who had declared in New York his intention of becoming an America citizen, and, who had been seized and confined in the Austrian ship Hussar. For his conduct in this matter he was voted thanks and a medal by Congress. Captain Ingraham served as Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrographer of the Navy from 1856 until 1860. He resigned from the Navy 4 February 1861 to enter the Confederate States Navy with the rank of captain. He was commandant of the Charleston station 1862 to 1865. He died at Charleston 16 October 1891.

 

I

 

(DD-111: dp. 1,060; l. 314'5"; b. 31'9"; dr. 8'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 113; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)

 

The first Ingraham (DD-111) was launched 4 July 1918 by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Alfred S. Gann; and commissioned 15 May 1919, Comdr. D. L. Le Breton in command.

 

Ingraham departed 20 May for her shakedown cruise, transiting the Panama Canal and arriving Newport 6 June. After repairs in New York, she sailed for a European tour of duty. While visiting Ostend, Belgium 22 September, she carried the King and Queen of Belgium to Calais, France. The destroyer returned to San Diego 8 January 1920 via New York and the Canal Zone to begin conversion to a minelayer.

 

Reclassified DM-9, Ingraham began minelaying exercises January 1921 along the California coast before departing Mare Island 7 June. She arrived Pearl Harbor 18 June and engaged in operations there until she decommissioned at Pearl Harbor 29 June 1922. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 December 1936 and she was sold for scrapping.