In Vedic mythology, the great national God of the Indo-Aryans.
(ARL-37: dp. 2,125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 253; a. 1 3", 8 40mm.; cl. Achelous)
Indra (ARL-37) was laid down as LST-1147 on 12 February 1945; reclassified while building and launched as ARL-37 by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., Seneca, 111., 21 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Regina K. Hlubek; placed in reduced commission and brought to Bethlehem-Key Highway Shipyard, Baltimore, for conversion, and commissioned 2 October 1945, Lt. Comdr. R. J. Siegelman in command.
After shakedown Indra sailed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she remained from 30 November 1945 until 8 May 1946. She then steamed through the Panama Canal to San Diego, arriving 4 June. The ship remained in California until departing 7 January 1947 for the Far East. Indra arrived Tsingtao 19 February to support American marines there attempting to stabilize the volatile Chinese situation and protect American lives and property. She performed repair and general services there and at Shanghai until 30 August, when she sailed for San Diego. Upon her arrival 25 September 1947, Indra decommissioned 6 October and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet, San Diego group, where she remains.