Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Indicative

 

Giving intimation or knowledge.

 

(AM-250: dp. 530; l.184'6"; b. 33'; dlr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)

 

Indicative (AM-250), a steel-hulled minesweeper, was laid down 29 September 1943 by Savannah Machine & Foundary Co., Savannah, Ga.; launched 12 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. E. L. Smith; and commissioned 26 June 1944, Lt. E. A. Comee in command.

 

Following shakedown and a training period at Little Creek, Va., Indicative sailed 19 August 1944 for antisubmarine exercises off Bermuda. She then took up regular duties as a. convoy escort vessel between U.S. ports and Bermuda, helping to counter the German submarine menace in the western Atlantic.

 

The minesweeper departed New York 5 February 1945 and steamed by way of the Canal Zone and West Coast ports to Cold Bay, Alaska, arriving 4 April 1945. With other minecraft, she was transferred to Russia under Lend-Lease the next day. She was not returned after the war and was probably lost between 1948 and 1950.