Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Independence

 

Freedom of control by others; self-government.

 

III

 

(Steamer: 4,980 tons; length 440'2"; beam 56'; draft 28'8"; speed 11 knots; armamanet two 5-inch guns)

 

The third Independence was built in 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Alameda, Calif., for the United States Shipping Board. She was delivered to the Navy and commissioned 16 November 1918, Lt. O. P. Rankin in command.

 

Independence sailed with a cargo of foodstuffs 6 December 1918, arrived New York 1 January 1918; and continued on to England. Upon her return to New York, the ship decommissioned 20 March 1919 and was returned to the USSB. She was later extensively rebuilt and sold 7 August 1930 to Baltimore Mail Steamship Co. and renamed City of Norfolk. In 1940 she was reacquired by the Navy and served in World War II as troop transport Neville (q.v.)

 


22 June 2005