Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Idalis

 

A former name retained.

 

(SP-270: t. 40; l. 67'8"; b. 14'2"; dr. 3'; s. 10 k.; a. 1 1-pdr.)

 

Idalis (SP-270), a motor yacht, was built in 1908 by Gas Engine & Power Co., Morris Heights, N.Y. Originally Idalis, she was acquired by the Navy in June 1917 as Amalia IV from her owner, Carl Reinschild of New York City; renamed Idalis, she commissioned 25 August 1917, Lt. G. C. Fry, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Idalis served as a patrol craft in Long Island Sound and as training ship for officers at the Naval Reserve Training School, Pelham Bay Park, N.Y. She continued these duties until the close of the war, and was returned to her former owner 22 March 1919.