Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ida

 

A former name retained.

 

(StTug:t. 104; a. 1 gun)

 

Ida was chartered by the Navy in New Orleans 3 February 1863 and purchased 6 March. She was assigned to the mortar flotilla for use as a dispatch vessel and for towing the motor boats in the swift and tricky currents of the Mississippi. She operated primarily below Port Hudson, maintaining communication between the flotilla and the squadron flagship. She was also used commandeering and towing off any boats suitable for military use found in the river.

 

She came under fire while assisting Iberville 3 July but escaped damage. After Port Hudson fell 9 July clearing the entire Mississippi for Union shipping, Ida continuedto operate in the lower river towing oceangoing vessels between the mouth of the river and New Orleans.

 

Early in 1865 she was ordered to Mobile Bay, where she arrived 1 February. Two weeks later she took on board two smoothbore howitzers in preparation for picket duty.

 

While clearing the main channel of Mobile Bay, Ida struck a torpedo mine which crushed the timbers on her starboard side, burst her boilers, and tore up her decks 13 April 1865. In a few moments she flooded and sank in midchannel. Three members of her crew were killed and two were wounded. Her wrecked hull was sold 11 September 1865.