Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ibex

 

A variety of wild goat found in Europe, Asia, and Africa.

 

II

 

(IX-119: dp. 14,500 (Urn.); l.441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 176; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; T. EO2-S-O1)

 

The second Ibex (IX-119) was laid down as Nicholas Longworth under a Maritime Commission contract by the California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., 16 October 1943; renamed Ibex 27 October; launched 15 November ; sponsored by Mrs. A. T. Olson; acquired by the Navy 13 December 1943; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. John L. Frazer in command.

 

After shakedown off the West Coast, Ibex departed San Pedro 23 January 1944, arriving Noumea, New Caledonia, 18 February. Operating as a floating storage ship, she transported gasoline and lube oil in the South Pacific for the next 8 months. From October until the end of World War II she operated with Servron 8, 3d Fleet, which supplied the fighting units during the most crucial months of the war.

 

After VJ day she remained in the Far East servicing the occupation forces; then returned to the United States early in 1946. Ibex decommissioned at Norfolk 28 June 1946 and was returned to the Maritime Commission on the 30th. In 1948 she was sold to T. J. Stevenson Co., Inc. and renamed Helen Stevenson.