Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Huron

 

Center lake in the Great Lakes and a city in east central South Dakota. Huron IV and V were named after the city.

 

II

 

(ScStr.: dp. 1,020; l. 175'; b. 32'; dph. 15'; a. 1 11-inch D.r., 2 9-in. D.r., 1 60-pdr. P.r., 1 12-pdr. how., 1 G.g.; cl. Alert)

 

The second Huron, an iron sloop-rigged steamer, was built by John Roach, Chester, Pa., 1873-75, and commissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 15 November 1875, Comdr. George P. Ryan in command.

 

Huron arrived 11 December 1875 for duty at Norfolk, and spent the next 2 years cruising in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. She stopped at Vera Cruz and Key West on her first cruise, returning to Port Royal 4 August 1876, and visited many Caribbean and Venezuelan ports March-June 1877. After repairs at New York Navy Yard in August, the ship sailed to Hampton Roads, and departed 23 November 1877 for a scientific cruise on the coast of Cuba. Huron encountered heavy weather soon after departure, however, and was wrecked shortly after 1 a.m. next morning near Nag's Head, N.C. For a time her crew worked in relatively little danger, attempting to free their ship, but she soon heeled over, carrying 98 officers and men to their deaths.

 

_________

 

Screw gunboat Alliance (q.v.) was launched as Huron 3 March 1875 but was renamed before commissioning