Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Huntress

 

A. former name retained.

 

II

 

(Sch: dp. 82; l. 97' wl.; b. 16'; dr. 7'3"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 20)

 

The second Huntress, a steam yacht with schooner rig, was built in 1895 at Nyack on Hudson, N.Y., by Charles L. Seabury & Co., and was purchased for the Navy from F. C. Fowler in June 1898. She commissioned 1 July 1898 after outfitting at New York Navy Yard, Lt. Felton Parker in command.

 

Used as an auxiliary gunboat, Huntress departed New York for patrol duties off Staten Island, and from 29 July to 12 August cruised in Long Island Sound. She then operated briefly around New York before decommissioning in August or September. Huntress departed New York Navy Yard 30 December 1898 for duty with the New Jersey Naval Militia.

 

The yacht remained with the New Jersey Naval Militia helping to train officers and men until 1907, when she was loaned to Missouri for Naval Militia training. Huntress was sold 3 December 1917.