Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Huntington

 

A city in West Virginia.

 

II

 

(CL-107: dp. 10,000; l. 611'2"; b. 66'6"; dr. 20'; s. 33 k.; cpl. 992; 12 6", 12 5" ; cl. Fargo)

 

The second Huntington (CL-107) was launched by the New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J., 8 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. M. L. Jarrett, Jr.; and commissioned 23 February 1946, Captain D. R. Tallman in command.

 

After shakedown training off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Huntington sailed from Philadelphia 23 July 1946 for duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. During the cruise she visited many ports, including Naples, Malta, Villefranche, and Alexandria, helping to stabilize the volatile post-war situation in Europe. Departing Gibraltar 8 February 1947, she took part in exercises off Guantanamo Bay, stopped at Norfolk and Newport, B.I., and departed the latter port 20 May 1947 for another tour of duty in the Mediterranean.

 

Returning from her cruise 13 September 1947, Huntington departed Philadelphia 24 October with Naval Reserve personnel for exercises off Bermuda and Newfoundland until 14 November 1947. The ship then entered Philadelphia Naval 'Shipyard and underwent an extensive overhaul until 12 April 1948. Returning to Norfolk 27 April from her refresher training cruise in the Caribbean, Huntington sailed to Newport and departed for another tour of duty in the Mediterranean 1 June 1948.

 

Huntington visited a variety of ports during June to August 1948, and after transiting the Suez Canal 22 September, embarked on a good will tour of Africa and South America, arriving Buenos Aires, Argentina, 6 November. There the ship was honored by an official visit from President Peron, and continuing to Uruguay received a similar visit from President Berres 10 November. Huntington called at Rio and Trinidad before returning from this valuable good will cruise 8 December 1948.

 

The cruiser made one short cruise from Philadelphia to the Caribbean, returned to Newport 22 January, and decommissioned 15 June 1949. She was finally struck from the Navy List 1 September 1961 after being in reserve, and was subsequently scrapped.