An island on the southern coast of South Carolina.
(LSM-398: dp. 1,095; l. 203'6"; b. 34'6"; dr. 7'4" ; s. 13 k.; cpl. 59; a. 2 40mm.)
Bunting (LSM-398) was launched as LSM-398 by Charleston Naval 'Shipyard, Charleston, S.C., 6 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. T. B. Thompson; commissioned 6 August 1945, Lt. L. L. Walters in command. Based at Little Creek, Va., the ship operated as a part of the Amphibious Fleet in the Atlantic, taking part in many training assaults in the Caribbean and on the Atlantic coast. In June 1953, she 'began a conversion to sonar research ship at Norfolk, and following completion she reported to Operational Development Force 1 October 1954.
In late 1954, the ship started a new career developing and testing experimental sonar equipment in conjunction with the famed Naval Research Laboratory. She was reclassified EAG-398 and assigned the name Hunting 13 June 1957. The ship's testing and evaluation activities took her from the Naval Research Laboratory near Washington into the Chesapeake Bay, the coastal waters off the Virginia Capes, and the Caribbean. She played a vital part in the development of new and better sonar equipment for the fleet. During 1961 the veteran ship wasseverely limited by mechanical problems and was finally decommissioned 23 November 1962 at Portsmouth, Va. She was sold 30 July 1963 to Commercial Manufacturing Corp., Kansas City.