Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Hunter Marshall

 

Hunter Marshall III was born in Charlotte, N.C., 6 October 1917 and enlisted in the Naval Reserve 12 July 1941. Called to active duty in September, Marshall was appointed Midshipman and attended Midshipman's School at New York. He later attended Armed Guard School and in April 1942, reported to Army transport Merrimack and took command of her naval Armed Guard Unit. Carrying military supplies to- the Panama Canal Zone, the ship was torpedoed by submarine J7-68 south of Yucatan Channel 9 June 1942. Despite the danger of further attacks Ensign Marshall led his Armed Guard gun crews in furious resistance to the submarine until the forward part of the ship was actually awash. Because of his loyal and determined fighting spirit, Marshall was one of the last to leave the ship and was lost. He was presumed dead 10 June 1943, and .was awarded the Silver Star for his gallantry.

 

(APD-112: dp. 1,390; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7" ; s. 24 k.; cpl. 204; a. 15", 6 40mm.; cl. Crosley)

 

Hunter Marshall (APD-112), originally classified DE-602, was launched 5 May 1945 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Hunter Marshall, mother of Ensign Marshall; and commissioned 17 July 1945, Comdr. A. A. Campbell in command.

 

The new fast transport got underway from Boston 3 August 1945 to conduct shakedown training in Caribbean waters, and before completion, the surrender of Japan ended the war. She returned to Norfolk 5 September and remained there until 10 October 1945, when she joined other fleet units at Boston for the triumphant Navy Day Presidential Review. Hunter Marshall arrived Green Cove Springs, Fla., via Norfolk, 25 November 1945, decommissioned 30 May 1946, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was eventually stricken from the Navy list 1 June 1960 and sold in July 1961 to Ecuador.