One of a family of small, brilliantly colored, nonpasserine birds.
(AMc-26: dp. 180; l. 90'5" ; b. 19'10" ; dr. 9'; s. 9 k.)
The first Humming Bird (AMc-26), a wooden dragger, was built as Whaling City in 1936 by Morse Shipyard, Thomaston, Maine; acquired by purchase 30 October 1940 from her owner, William Hayes of New Bedford, Mass.; converted to Navy use at Geo. Lawley & Son, Neponset, Mass., and placed in service 12 June 1941.
Humming Bird operated throughout the war as a minesweeper and minesweeping training vessel, largely in the vicinity of Mine Warfare Training School, Yorktown, Va. She was reclassified Small Boat C-13548, 12 June 1944 and placed out of service at New York 18 February 1945. Delivered to the Maritime Commission, the craft was eventually sold