(NOTS : d. 8,097 t.; l. 413'; b. 51'6" ; dr. 25'11" ; sp. 10'; cpl. 91)
Howick Hall was built by William Hamilton Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland, in 1910. Acquired from her owners, the U.S. Steel Products Co., she commissioned at Baltimore on 24 August 1918, Lt. Comdr. Gust E. Jonsson in command.
After loading cargo at Baltimore, Howick Hall joined a convoy at New York and from .there sailed to St. Nazaire, France, reaching that port on 30 September. She discharged cargo and on 31 October was back at Baltimore.
Her second transatlantic voyage began at Newport News, where she loaded cargo for La Verdun Roads, France, on 25 December. From there Howick Hall went to Bassens for fuel, and on 3 February 1919, sailed for the States. However, a case of spinal meningitis in the crew necessitated her stopping at Bermuda on 21 February. Ship and crew were placed in quarantine and denied communication with the island until they sailed for Baltimore on 25 February.
Howick Hall arrived at Baltimore via Newport News on 5 March and decommissioned there 13 March 1919. She was returned to her former owners the same day.