A Delaware chief who signed the first Indian treaty with the United States in 1778.
(YN-33: dp. 129; l. 90'; b. 22'6" ; dr. 11'4" ; s. 11 k.)
Hopocan (YN-33), a diesel-powered steel tugboat, was built as Carmelite in 1937 by Ira S. Bushey & Sons, Brooklyn, N.Y., and was acquired by the Navy from the builder 16 August 1940. Converted at the New York Navy Yard, she was placed in service as Hopocan (YN-33), a net tender, 9 September 1940.
Assigned to the 15th Naval District, Hopocan steamed from Hampton Roads 30 October 1940, and arrived the Canal Zone 13 November. She took up net-tending duties in the Canal area, helping to protect America's vital link between oceans. Hopocan was redesignated YNT-1, 8 April 1942, and departed Cristobal 17 July 1942 for duty with the 10th Naval District in the Aruba-Curacao area. There she remained on net-tending duty until assigned to Naval Base, Trinidad, in October 1944. Near the end of the war, 4 August 1945, she was redesignated YTM-728 and assigned harbor tug duties at Roosevelt Roads, P.R. Brought to New York in July 1946, Hopocan was placed out of service 2 August at Brooklyn, and stricken from the Navy List 15 August 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal May 1947