A river in East Tennessee.
(LSMR-509: dp. 790; l. 206; b. 35'; dr. 8'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 147; a. 1 5", 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 4 4.2" m., 10 rkt; cl. L8MR-101)
LSMR-509 was laid down by Brown Shipbuilding Co. Inc., Houston, Tex., 7 April 1945; launched 5 May; and commissioned 2 June, Lt. William R. Hawes in command.
After shakedown in the Chesapeake Bay, LSMR-509 engaged in training operations along the East Coast out of Little Creek, Va. Sailing 20 September, she cruised to New Orleans, then proceeded up the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers ariving Pittsburgh 22 October for Navy Day ceremonies.
LSMR-509 returned to Little Creek 14 December, operated along the East Coast for the next 10 months, then departed Little Creek 18 October 1946, for the West Coast. Arriving San Diego 20 November, she operated in an inactive status until she decommissioned 5 February 1947, and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet. While berthed with the San Diego Group she was named Holston River 1 October 1955. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958.