A Sioux Indian word meaning "fish".
(YT-146: displacement 325 tons; 1ength 100'; beam 25'; draft 9'7")
Hoga (YT-146), a diesel-powered tug, was launched by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y., 31 December 1940; and placed in service 22 May 1941.
Hoga served as a harbor tug in Hawaii (the 14th Naval District) through all of World War II, starting with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December and ending her war service there on VJ-Day in September 1945. The tug was reclassified YTB-146 15 May 1944. Loaned to the city of Okland, Calif. in June 1948, she served as a fireboat for nearly five decades. She was reclassified YTM-146 on 1 February 1962. She was officially placed "out of service" in July 1996 and, in December of that year, Hoga was transferred to the Maritime Administration and laid up at Suisun Bay, California. The tug is scheduled for transfer to the Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum, Little Rock, Arkansas, in the summer of 2005.
25 May 2005