Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Hillsborough County

 

A county in Florida.

 

(LST-827 : dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 266; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-511)

 

LST-827 was laid down by Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co., Evansville, Ind., 13 October 1944; launched 22 November; sponsored by Mrs. Clark H. Woodward; and commissioned 12 December, Lt. R. L. Olander in command.

 

After shakedown off Florida, LST-827 loaded smoke-pots on her tank deck, then departed Mobile, Ala., 17 January 1945. Following brief stops at the Canal Zone and Pearl Harbor, she arrived Eniwetok early in March. Sailing for Guam on the 13th, she unloaded her cargo, and for the next 2 months transported men and equipment between the Marianas and the Philippines.

 

After embarking Squadron 212, Marine Air Group 14, LST-827 departed San Pedro Bay, Philippines, 24 May en route to Okinawa. When she arrived 5 days later, American forces were already engaged in a 2-month campaign to push the enemy from its Pacific stronghold. After unloading men and equipment, she steamed to the Philippines for additional reinforcements. For the remainder of World War II, LST-827 operated in the vicinity of Okinawa and the Philippines, transporting men and supplies for the final drive to the enemy's homeland.

 

Following the Japanese surrender, the landing ship serviced the occupation forces in the Far East until she sailed for the United States 15 November, arriving San Diego 16 December. Joining LST Squadron 1 there in May 1946, she operated along the West Coast performing fleet maneuvers and tactical training exercises for the next 3 years. LST-827 decommissioned 7 June 1949 at San Diego and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

 

Her respite was brief, however, as President Truman met the communist challenge of aggression in Asia by sending U.S. forces to aid the beleaguered South Koreans. Recommissioned 3 November 1950, Lt. S. G. Ruskey in command, LST-827 departed San Diego 27 January 1951 for the Far East. After a brief stop at Pearl Harbor, she arrived Yokosuka 3 March.

 

Assigned to the Korean supply run, she carried supplies from Japan to Pusan, Ulsan, and Inchon for the next 4 months. LST-827 returned to the United States 9 August to operate there until early 1952. Departing.San Diego 17 February, she steamed for her second tour in the Western Pacific, touching Pearl Harbor, Marshall Islands, and the Philippines before arriving Yokosuka 26 April. From May to October she shuttled supplies and troops between Japan and Korea to strengthen the Allied forces against the threat of Communism.

 

Departing Japan 10 October LST-827 was to perform another historic service to her country by operating with the units assigned to the first hydrogen bomb tests. She returned San Diego 30 November and received major alterations at Mare Island in preparation for her next assignment. From 1953 through 1956 LST-827 sailed on two WestPac cruises, engaged in amphibious exercises off the West Coast and steamed to the Arctic on three occasions to supply stations on the Dewline radar network.

 

L8T-827 was named Hillsborough County 1 July 1955. During 1957 she participated in exercises off the California coast, and on 1 November was placed in commission in reserve.

 

Hillsborough County decommissioned 28 January 1958. She was then used as a target and sunk in the Gulf of California 15 August 1958.

 

LSr-827 received one battle star for World War II service and three stars for the Korean conflict.