A former name retained.
(SP-1221: dp. 184; l. 136'6"; b. 26'3"; dr. 18'3"; a. none)
Hildegarde, a schooner-rigged yacht, was built by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Del., in 1897. She was leased from her owner, Edward R. Coleman, of Lebanon, Pa., 21 September 1917 at New London, Conn. She was not commissioned, but her first commanding officer was A. L. Thompson, Chief Boatswain's Mate.
Hildegarde was used as a floating barracks at New London, Conn., from January until June 1918, when she was transferred to duty as station ship at the harbor entrance, New London. She continued these and other duties at the 2d Naval District Base at New London until returned to her owner 6 February 1919.