Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Highway

 

A British name retained.

 

(LSD-10: dp. 4,490; l. 457'9" ; b. 72'7" ; dr. 18' ; s. 15 k.; cpl. 290; a. 1 3", 12 40mm., 16 20mm.; cl. Ashland)

 

LSD-10 was laid down by Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., 23 November 1942; launched as Claymore 19 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. M. Challoner, Jr.; transferred to the United Kingdom under lend lease 19 October 1943; and commissioned as HMS Highway the same day. She served in the Royal Navy during the remainder of World War II and was returned to the custody of the U.S. Navy at Norfolk, Va., 23 April 1946. She was sold to Atlas Metals Corp. 17 December 1948.