Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Hidalgo

 

A county in New Mexico.

 

(AK-189: dp. 7,125 full load; l. 338'6" ; b. 50'; dr. 21'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3" ; cl. Alamosa)

 

Hidalgo (AK-189), a diesel-powered C1-M-AV1 cargo hull, was launched 28 July 1944 under Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilding, Inc., Superior, Wis., sponsored by Mrs. Claude Pepper, wife of the Senator from Florida ; placed in service while being towed to Galveston, Tex., and commissioned 4 August 1945, Lt. John W. Thompson in command.

 

After conducting a brief shakedown cruise off the coast of Texas, Hidalgo sailed to the Canal Zone for routing to the Pacific 5 September 1945, but the war's end brought orders to proceed to Norfolk. The ship arrived in Hampton Roads 11 March 1946 and decommissioned 26 April 1946. Subsequently, she was sold to Turkey and serves as cargo ship Rize in merchant service.