A long-necked, long-legged wading bird indigenous to Louisiana and the vast coastal marshes.
(YMS-369: dp. 215; l. 136'; b. 24'6" ; s. 13 k.; a. 1 3", 2 20mm.; c,pl. 50)
The second Heron (YMS-369) was launched as YM8-369 24 July 1943 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., White-stone, N.Y.; sponsored by Miss Frances J. McCarthy, an employee of the firm; commissioned 9 October 1943, Lt. H. A. Wilson, Jr., in command.
YMS-369's World War II service consisted of mine-sweeping operations around the home islands after the Japanese surrender. On 2 March 1946, she sailed for home after 4 months in Japanese waters and decommissioned. She was named Heron and reclassified AMS-18 7 February 1947.
After recommissioning 15 July 1949, Heron engaged in training exercises on the West Coast until 4 October 1950 when she sailed for Korea to support United Nations opposition to aggression. She patrolled off the peninsula, and was of invaluable assistance for her clearing of channels for blockading ships in the siege of Wonsan Harbor, Korea, in March 1951. She maintained surveillance of North Korean sea traffic after the cease-fire until January 1954, when she retired to Sasebo, Japan, for training duties. Reclassified MSC(O)-18 on 17 February 1955, Heron decommissioned again 21 March, and was turned over to the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force the same day to serve as Numajima. Heron was returned to Navy custody 31 March 1967, struck from the Navy List the same day, and used as a fire target by the Japanese Maritime Staff Ofiice.
Heron earned one battle star for World War II service, and eight stars for her participation in the Korean conflict.