A. bearer of news.
(AM-101: dp. 890 ; l. 221'2" ; b. 32'; dr. 10'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 105; a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 dct, 5 dcp.; cl. Auk)
The second Herald (AM-101), a steel-hulled diesel-powered minesweeper, was launched by General Engineering & Dry Dock Co., Alameda, Calif., 4 July 1942 ; and commissioned 23 March 1943, Comdr. D. B. Poupeney in command.
Following her shakedown training off the California coast, Herald got underway 16 May 1943 for Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where she took part in patrols and was present for the unopposed landing on Kiska Island 15 August. The ship resumed her patrol and escort duties; but, after suffering severe damage in a storm 6 November 1943 returned to Seattle 10 December for repairs.
The minesweeper returned to duty 12 February 1944, sailing to Pearl Harbor on the 22d. After two convoy voyages to the Marshalls, she got underway 30 May to join the fleet at Eniwetok for one of the most important amphibious operations of the war, the invasion of the Marianas. Herald arrived off Saipan on D-day, 15 June, and performed minesweeping and escort duties. While the U.S. fleet won a great victory at the Battle of the Philippine Sea 19 to 21 June, the minesweeper protected the transport and fueling areas off Saipan. She sailed to Tarawa 17 July to escort a group of LST's back to Pearl Harbor, where she arrived 26 July.
In the months that followed, Herald performed vital convoy work in the Marshalls and Marianas, including patrol and some minesweeping work. In early 1945 she served as an escort ship for submarines returning to Ulithi from war patrols. Herald sailed from Pearl Harbor for the United States 11 May 1945, arriving San Francisco 7 days later.
At San Francisco at war's end, the minesweeper sailed 1 September 1945 to take part in the giant sweeping operations necessary for rapid and safe occupation of the former Japanese islands. Arriving Sasebo, Japan, 26 October, Herald operated in the South China Sea until departing 15 January 1946 for the United States. Arriving San Diego 17 February after stops at Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, she decommissioned 31 May 1946 and was placed in reserve.
Herald recommissioned 5 March 1952 at San Diego and spent the remainder of the year in shakedown training and minesweeping drills on the east coast of the United States. Operating out of Charleston, the ship made two cruises to the Mediterranean in the spring of 1953 and the summer of 1954, strengthening the 6th Fleet in that troubled region. Herald continued to take part in fleet maneuvers and training off the east coast and in the Caribbean until arriving Jacksonville, Fla., 10 February 1955. She decommissioned at Green Cove Springs 15 April 1955 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Reclassified MSF-101, 7 February 1955, she is now berthed at Orange, Tex.
Herald received two battle stars for World War II services.