A former name retained.
(ID-1280: dp. 10,910 n.; l. 440'2" ; b. 54'6" ; dr. 24'; s. 15 k.; a. 45")
Henry R. Mallory, a troop transport, was built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va., in 1916, and operated by Mallory Lines before being acquired by the Navy 13 April 1918. She commissioned 17 April 1918.
The transport was used to carry members of the American Expeditionary Force to Europe through the submarine-infested waters, carrying up to 2.200 troops per passage. After the war, she was transferred to the War Department, 23 October 1919, and later acquired by Agwilines, Inc. After many years of passenger service, she was used as a troopship by the War Shipping Administration in World War II. Henry R. Mallory was torpedoed and sunk 500 miles south of Iceland 9 February 1943.