Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Henry Andrew


A merchant name retained.


(ScSTr: t. 177; l. 150'; b. 26'; dph. 7'6" ; a. 2 32-pdr., 1 20-pdr.)


Henry Andrew was originally built in 1847 at New York as a sailing brig, and converted to steam in 1859. She was purchased from her owner, Mr. Van Santvoord, at New York 10 September 1861. Her first commanding officer was Acting Master S. W. Mather.


Assigned to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Henry Andrew arrived on her blockading station in November 1861. She reconnoitered the Vernon River 11 December and 20 December was sent to blockade the entrance to Wassaw Sound. Being of light draft, Henry Andrew was especially valuable in stopping blockade running and gaining intelligence in the shallow rivers and sounds of the coast. She participated 17 January-18 February 1862 in an expedition up Wright's and Mud Rivers for the purpose of finding a channel into the Savannah River, encountering no Confederate opposition except a small battery near Red Bluff.


Henry Andrew was reassigned to Fernandina, Fla., 18 March, and took up duties off Fernandina and Mosquito Inlet. Boats from the steamer and Penguin entered Mosquito Inlet on a reconnaissance 21 March and next day were fired upon by batteries and musketry, killing the captains of both Henry Andrew and Penguin. Subsequently, the ship was active in the blockade off Mosquito Inlet, Stono River, and other points on the coast until sent to Winyah Bay, S.C., where she arrived 21 June 1862.


An expedition up the Santee River was organized in late June and Henry Andrew was designated to accompany it. The ships entered the river 24 June, reconnoitered the area, and were fired on by shore batteries on the shore. Returning 3 July, Henry Andrew resumed blockading duties off Stono River until ordered to New York in August for extensive repairs.


While steaming north, Henry Andrcui encountered heavy weather off Cape Hatteras. She was battered about badly and went ashore south of Cape Henry, Virginia, 24 August 1862. No lives were lost but the ship was a total wreck and was not salvaged.