A Dutch spelling of Henry Hudson, English explorer and navigator.
(ScStr: t. 460; l. 171'; b. 29'11" ; dph. 9'6" ; s. 11 k.; a. 48",220-pdr.)
Hendrick Hudson, a schooner-rigged screw steamer, was built as Florida in 1859 at Greenpoint, N.Y., and captured by Pursuit while attempting to run the blockade at St. Andrew's Bay, Florida, 6 April 1862. Taken to Philadelphia for adjudication, she was condemned and purchased by the Navy Department from the Prize Court 20 September 1862. Renamed Hendrick Hudson, she commissioned 30 December 1862 at Philadelphia, Acting Master John E. Giddings commanding.
Assigned to the East Gulf Blockading Squadron, Hendrick Hudson sailed to Hampton Roads, arriving 3 January 1863, and from there proceeded to her blockading station off East Pass, St. George's Sound, Florida. On station 1 February, Hendrick Hudson began her long months of arduous blockade duty, working to shut off commerce through the multitude of small inlets and passes of the Florida coast. She remained off St. George's Sound until late August 1863, capturing schooner Margaret 1 February and schooner Teresa 16 April. She then retired to Boston for repairs and refitting, returning to a new station off the mouth of the Suwanee River 28 December.
Resuming her blockading duties, Hendriek Hudson encountered a. small schooner off Key West 21 March 1864 and stood toward her. The blockade runner, Wild Pigeon, suddenly turned across Hendriek Hudson's bow, however, and was inadvertently rammed and sunk. None of her assorted cargo could be recovered. The steamer continued her blockading duties through 1864, spending much of her time in busy Tampa Bay and St. Marks, Florida. A group of her men went ashore on an expedition 12 November and engaged some Confederate soldiers briefly, in one of the many forays ashore by personnel of the East Gulf Squadron.
Hendriek Hudson participated 27 February to 7 March 1865 in an expedition with Army units in the vicinity of St. Marks, Florida. The steamer helped blockade the river and some of her crew went ashore with the Army in an attempt to capture Confederate positions. Following the end of the war, Hendriek Hudson was not retained in the squadron, and was ordered north 15 July 1865. She decommissioned 8 August 1865 at Philadelphia and was sold 12 September. The ship was subsequently redocumented Hendriek Hudson and operated in commercial service until she was lost in 1867.