The Greek sun-god, represented as driving a four-horse chariot through the heavens.
(ARB-12: dp. 1,781; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2" ; s. 12 k.; cpl. 286; a. 8 40mm.; cl. Aristaeus)
Helios (ARB-12), formerly LST-1127, was launched 14 February 1945 by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., Seneca, 111.; sponsored by Mrs. Emery Adams; and commissioned as LST-H27, 26 February 1945, Lt. Adam W. Melohusky in command.
Helios sailed down the Mississippi and around to Baltimore where she decommissioned 16 March 1945. She was then converted to an ARB by the Maryland Drydock Co., of Baltimore. Helios recommissioned 23 July 1945, Lieutenant Melohusky in command, and proceeded to Chesapeake Bay for her shakedown. Ordered to the Pacific, the battle-damaged repair ship sailed from Norfolk 27 August. By the time she reached Pearl Harbor 29 September, the long war had come to its end and Helios's services were no longer needed. Sailing 11 October, she reached Charleston a month later and from there sailed to the Inactive Fleet Berthing Area at Green Cove Springs, Fla. Helios decommissioned there 3 December 1946 and remained in reserve until leased to the government of Brazil 19 January 1962 as Belmonte.