The first Hazel retained her former name, while the second was named for the small tree or shrub which bears the hazelnut, or filbert.
(SP-1207: t. 10; l. 44'; b. 9'6" ; dr. 3'3" ; s. 8 k.; a. 1 1-pdr.)
Hazel (SP-1207), a small motor boat, was acquired from her owner, J. W. Mathews, Chincoteague, Va., and commissioned 1 June 1917, Chief Boatswain's Mate D. J. Jester commanding.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Haeel operated as a patrol craft and performed general, harbor duties around Chiacoteague Island and in Hampton Roads. She occasionally made cruises up Chesapeake Bay as far as Annapolis. Hazel was returned to her owner 16 January 1919.