Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Hawaiian

 

(NOTS: dp. 12,000; l. 406'9"; b. 51'1"; dr. 26'1" ; s. 11k. ;cpl. 97)

 

Hawaiian was built by 'the Delaware River Shipbuilding Co., Chester, Pa., and launched in November 1900, Mrs. W. O. Sproul, wife of the United States Senator from Pennsylvania and daughter of the founder of the shipyard, sponsor. The cargo vessel was acquired by the Navy from her owner, the American-Hawaiian Steamship Line, and commissioned on 10 August 1918 at Hoboken, N.J., Lt. Comdr. L. A. Carlisle in command.

 

Taking aboard cargo at New York, Hawaiian sailed for Bassens, France, on 17 August, arriving 'there 3 September. After discharging her cargo there, she returned to New York on 28 September. Hawaiian sailed for Europe again on 11 October. On 26 October, only one day out of Gibraltar, she rammed the British steamer Larchgrove amidships, sinking her almost immediately. Hawaiian, badly holed in the bows and shipping water, limped into Gibraltar the following day with 16 survivors of the British steamer on board. After temporary repairs had been effected, Hawaiian continued on to Marseilles, arriving there 12 November to discharge cargo. She then returned to the United States via Gibraltar, arriving at New York on 15 December.

 

Hawaiian stayed in drydock at New York until 21 March 1919; when she decommissioned and was returned to her former owners.