A city in northern Montana.
(PCE-877 : dp. 640; l. 185'; b. 33'; dr. 9'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 3", 3 40mm., 5 20mm., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. PCE-842)
PCE-877 was laid down by Albina Engine & Machine Works, Portland, Oreg., 6 May 1943; launched 11 August; sponsored by Miss Marjory Wooton; and commissioned 14 February 1944, Lt. Coleman H. Smith in command.
After shakedown off San Diego PCE-877 sailed for Hawaii arriving Pearl Harbor 19 September for conversion to an amphibious force control ship. Following her conversion and training for her new assignment, PCE-877 departed Peal Harbor 22 January 1945, reaching Eniwe-tok 3 February. Proceeding to Saipan, she joined the Iwo Jima invasion force and was enroute to the Japanese held volcano fortress on the 15th. Four days later the converted sub chaser arrived in the transport area where she directed and controlled landing craft on their approach to the beaches. Following the initial assault she patrolled off the island, performing rescue and salvage operations.
With Iwo Jima secured, PCE-877 steamed to Leyte to prepare for the next major campaign, invasion of Okinawa. In late March the largest amphibious force of the Pacific war steamed to the Ryukyu Islands. American troops hit the beaches 1 April and PCE-877 once again assumed attack station to screen and direct landing ships on their approach to shore. Under frequent enemy air attack, she remained off Okinawa for 2 weeks giving support to the troops. Following a short overhaul at Ulithi, PCE-877 resumed operations off Okinawa in mid May. On 28 May she came under Japanese air attack while assisting LCS-119, which had been demolished by a suicide plane. During this encounter she aided in splashing an enemy plane and recovered sixty-one survivors from the stricken ship. For the rest of the war she performed patrol off Okinawa and amphibious training in the Philippines. Reclassified PCE(C)-877 on 20 August, she sailed 6 days later to escort a transport convoy enroute to Tokyo.
PCE(C)-877 returned to the United States early in 1946, arriving Charleston, S.C., in February. From 1946 to April 1954 she was attached to Amphibious Control Squadron 2 and engaged in exercises in the North Atlantic, Chesapeake Bay, and the Caribbean.
During April 1954 she sailed to the Great Lakes where she became a Naval Reserve Training Ship in the 9th Naval District. Here she was again reclassified PCE-877, 27 October 1955, and was named Havre 15 February 1956. For the next 10 years Havre operated throughout the Great Lakes, engaging in 2-week cruises which provided valuable training for Naval Reservists, including ASW exercises.
At present Havre continues operations in 1967 out of her homeport Great Lakes, III.
PCE-877 received two battle stars for World War II service.