Harry L. Corl
Harry Lee Corl was born in Lambertville, Mich., 26 March 1914, and enlisted in the Navy 20 November 1934. He was discharged in 1938 but enlisted again the following year, rising to ensign 15 June 1942. He was awarded the Navy Cross for heroism in the epochal Battle of Midway, when he was the pilot of a torpedo plane in the assault against the Japanese fleet. His squadron probably scored hits on two of the carriers later lost in the action. Ensign Corl was reported missing on a mission in the South Pacific 24 August 1942, and was presumed dead 25 August.
(ADP-108: dp. 1390; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7" ; s. 24 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5", 6 40mm.; cl. Crosley)
Harry L. Corl (ADP-108) was launched as DE-598 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Hingham, Mass., 1 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Marie Mohr, sister of Ensign Corl; and commissioned 5 June 1945, Lt. W. D. Jenckes in command. She had been redesignated ADP-108 and converted to a high speed transport before commissioning.
Following her shakedown training in the Caribbean, Harry L. Corl departed Norfolk for the West Coast 4 August 1945. She arrived San Diego 19 August, 4 days after the end of the war, and was assigned the duty of carrying supplies and men to northern Pacific ports. Arriving Seattle 26 August, the transport took on passengers and equipment for northern weather stations. She arrived Dutch Harbor, Alaska, 1 September and Petropav-lovsk, on the Kamchatka Peninsula, 5 days later. There Harry L. Corl unloaded cargo and helped to establish an important weather station, so vital to safe navigation of the Pacific.
The transport made three more supply voyages from Attu to Petropavlovsk, and sailed to Seattle 21 November. After a voyage to Alaskan ports with passengers the ship returned to Seattle 11 January 1946. Scheduled for inactivation, Harry L. Corl then sailed for San Francisco, and departed that port 26 February for the east coast. She arrived New York 20 March and Green Cove Springs, Florida, 12 April, decommissioning 21 June 1946. Harry L. Corl was subsequently placed in the reserve fleet, where she remained until her name was struck from the Navy List on 15 January 1966. She was delivered to Korea in May 1966 for use in the ROK Navy as Ah San.