Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Harrier

 

Any hawk of genus Circus feeding on small animals and insects.

 

(AM-366: dp. 530; l. 184'6" ; b. 33'; dr. 9'9" ; s. 15 k.; epl. 104; a. 1 3", 4 40mm.; el. Admirable)

 

Harrier (AM-366) was launched 7 June 1944 by the Willamette Iron & Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. William A. Kettlewell; and commissioned 31 October 1945, Lt. R. N. Compton in command.

 

After shakedown and exercises along the Oregon coast, Harrier put into San Diego 5 January 1946. She decommissioned there 28 March 1946 and was placed in reserve. Harrier's name was stricken from the Navy List 1 December 1959 and her disposal approved 3 October 1960.