Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Harlequin

 

A sea duck, found chiefly in North America, Iceland and Siberia.

 

(AM-365: dp. 530; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9" ; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 13", 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)

 

Harlequin (AM-365) was launched 3 June 1944 by Willamette Iron & Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. Mary M. Doig, whose husband and son were reported missing in action and who also had another son, a brother, and nine nephews in the Navy. She commissioned 28 September 1945, Lt. Henry E. Darling, USNR, in command.

 

Reporting to San Pedro, Calif., for shakedown 19 October, Harlequin remained there until 29 November, when she sailed south, reaching New Orleans 15 December. Harlequin sailed to Orange, Tex., 2 April 1946 and decommissioned there 27 May. She was reclassified MSF-365, 7 February 1955. Harlequin was struck from the Navy List 1 May 1962, and later sold to Mexico.