A former name retained. (ARS-31: t. 812; l. 188'6"; b. 32'11"; dph. 13'½")
Harjurand (ARS-31) was built as Olesa in 1919 by Astilleros Cardona, S.A., Barcelona, Spain. She had a long and varied merchant career, serving in the 1920's as Per Skogland under Estonian registry, 1931-32 as Camberway for the British Sunderland Steam Shipping Co., in 1933 as Tento, in 1934 as Margot, and finally under Esthonian ownership again as Harjurand in 1937. Requisitioned by the War Shipping Administration, she was turned over to the Navy 1 June 1942. Although Navy-owned, she was operated under contract by Merritt Chapman, and Scott, under the supervision of the Bureau of Ships.
Harjurand was one of the pioneer vessels in the Navy's very successful World War II Salvage Service. One of her first major operations was the salvage of cargo from SS Edward Luckenlach, torpedoed off Florida 1 July 1942 Harjurand and other salvage ships worked from 28 March to 8 December 1943 at the difficult job of bringing up her valuable cargo of metal ores, and Harjurand succeeded in carrying some 4,500 tons of the recovered ore to Tampa to be utilized in the war effort
For most of the next 18 months, Harjurand was engaged mainly in removing protruding parts of sunken hulks which threatened navigation off the East Coast of the United States. She worked on Gulfamerica off Jacksonville, Fla., April 1944, Ashkabad at sea east of Georgia in June, Maurice Tracy off South Carolina in August, and destroyer Sturtevant off the Florida Keys during April 1945.
At the close of the war, to which the old coal-burning Harjurand had contributed much, the contract with Merritt Chapman, and Scott was terminated and the ship was returned to the War Shipping Administration 22 May 1946. She was stricken from the Navy List 19 June 1946. Subsequently, Harjurand was sold to Miraflores, S.A., of Panama, and resumed merchant service until about 1955 as Dodecanese