Former named retained.
(ScTug: t. 75; l. 66'; b. 16'3" ; dph. 7'9" ; s. 13 k.)
The first Harcourt, a screw tug, was purchased by the Navy at New York from a private owner 14 June 1864.
Her first commanding officer was Acting Ensign J. A. Chadwick.
After a brief period as dispatch boat at Hampton Roads, Harcourt was ordered 31 July 1864 to Beaufort, N.C., to serve the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron as a pilot tug. She remained at Beaufort carrying pilots to and from ships in the harbor until returning to Norfolk for repairs in November 1864. She later spent a brief period as a patrol boat on the James River in March 1865, and in April assisted in towing the hulk of former C.S.S. Albemarle, the formidable ram sunk in Albemarle Sound 27 October 1864 by Lt. W. B. Gushing, to Norfolk Navy Yard, where she arrived 27 April. Harcourt performed various tug duties in Hampton Roads until placed in ordinary 20 November 1865. She was sold at Norfolk 16 April 1867.