Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Haraden

 

Jonathan Haraden was born in Gouchester, Mass., 11 November 1744, and joined the Massachusetts State Navy in July 1776 as First Lieutenant of the sloop Tyrannicide. Sailing with her for 2 years, he captured many prizes, and rose to command her in 1777. In 1778, Haraden left the state navy for a career as a privateersman, commanding General Pickering. He simultaneously engaged three British privateers off New Jersey in October 1779, and captured a 22-gun sloop in the Bay of Biscay. When British privateer Achilles, of three times his force, attempted to recapture his prize a few days later, Haraden fought a fierce action at close quarters for 3 hours, forcing the larger ship to sheer off. Captured briefly by Admiral Rodney in the West Indies in 1781, Haraden escaped and sailed privateer Julius Caesar in 1782. In June of that year fought off two British vessels of equal force at the same time. His health declined steadily after the close of the War for Independence, and he died at Salem, Mass., 23 November 1803.

 

I

 

(DD-183: dp. 1,060; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 8'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 101; a. 4 4", 4 21" tt., 1 dep; cl. Wickes)

 

The first Haraden was launched by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Va., 4 July 1918; sponsored by Miss Mabel B. Stephens, great-niece of Captain Jonathan Haraden; and commissioned at Norfolk Navy Yard 7 June 1919, to Lt Comdr. R. H. Booth in command.

 

Haraden was assigned to U.S. Naval Forces in European Waters; after calling at Newport for supplies she departed New York 30 June 1919 for duty in the Adriatic Sea. She arrived Spalato, Dalmatia, 28 July 1919 and conducted operations from that port assisting the naval force in the execution of the terms of the Austrian armistice, serving as station ship at Trieste and Flume, and participating in maneuvers. This duty occupied her until 23 October 1919, when she departed for Norfolk, Va., arriving 18 November.

 

The destroyer departed Norfolk 7 April 1920 for Charleston, S.C., and operated with reserve destroyer divisions out of Charleston -until 15 March 1921. After an extensive overhaul at New York, ending 2 May, Haraden sailed for Newport and training operations off New England. She returned to Charleston 12 October 1921 and to Philadelphia 10 April 1922. Haraden decommissioned 17 July 1922.

 

With the mounting tensions in 1939, Haraden was called back to active service and recommissioned at Philadelphia 4 December 1939. After shakedown training at Guanta-namo Bay, Cuba, the destroyer performed neutrality patrol in Cuban waters briefly and then returned to Newport, R.I., 6 March 1940. She subsequently conducted neutrality patrol in waters off Block Island and Nantucket Shoals, and; made three training cruises in Chesapeake Bay.

 

Arriving Boston Navy Yard 7 September 1940, Haraden was 1 of the 50 over-age destroyers to be sent to the United Kingdom in exchange for bases. She sailed 18 September for Halifax, Nova Scotia, and decommissioned there for transfer to the British 24 September 1940. Her name was struck from the Navy List 8 January 1941.

 

Assigned to Canada and renamed HMCS Columbia, she saw much service in World War II. She first underwent refit and then was assigned to convoy duties in the Atlantic. Her first major action began 15 October 1941 when she joined convoy SC^8, already under submarine attack. Columbia, and the other escorts fought valiantly, but nine merchantmen from the convoy were sunk before reaching England. After the U.S.'s entry into the war Columbia was reassigned to convoy ships from New York to St. Johns, Newfoundland, the first leg of the transatlantic journey. She escorted convoys and performed anti-submarine patrol until 25 February 1944, when she struck a cliff in foul weather off the coast of Newfoundland. Columbia was not fully repaired after the accident but made watertight and used as a fuel and ammunition hulk in Nova Scotia until her return to the War Assets Administration for disposal in August 1945 when she was sold for scrapping.