Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Halcyon

 

A bird, identified with the kingfisher, fabled by the ancients to nest at sea about the time of the winter solstice, and to calm the waves during incubation; hence, calm and peaceful.

 

II

 

(SP-1658 :l.40'; b. 9'6" ; dr. 2'8" ; s. 10 k.)

 

The second Halcyon was built by Defoe Boat Works, Bay City, Mich., in 1912, and was taken over by the Navy from her owner, G. G. Barnum, at Duluth, Minn., 16 June 1917. After serving briefly on section patrol in the Great Lakes, 9th Naval District, Halcyon was returned to her owner 5 November 1917.