Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

H-9

 

(SS-152: dp. 358 (n.) ; l. 150'4" ; b. 15'10" ; dr. 12'5" ; s. 14 k.; cpl. 25; a. 4 18" tt.; cl. H-l)

 

H-9, (SS-152) was launched at Puget Sound Navy Yard on 23 November 1918, commissioned there 25 November, Lt. Clarke Withers in command.

 

Joining SubDiv 6 at San Pedro, and later being transferred to SubDiv 7 there, H-9 participated in a variety of battle and training exercises along the West Coast. She also patrolled off Santa Catalina Island, and put in at Mare Island for periodic overhauls.

 

H-9 sailed from San Pedro on 25 July 1922 and arrived in Norfolk 14 September, with SubDivs 6 and 7. The submarine decommissioned at Norfolk on 3 November 1922. Her name was struck from the Navy List 26 February 1931. She was sold for scrapping 28 November 1933.