Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

H-5

 

(SS-148: dp. 358 (n.) ; l. 150'4" ; b. 15'10" ; dr. 12'5" ; s. 14 k.; cpl. 25; a. 4 18" tt.; cl. H-l)

 

H-5 (SS-148) was launched by Puget Sound Navy Yard 24 September 1918; and commissioned there 30 September 1918, Lt. Gordon Hutchins in command.

 

Operating out of San Pedro with SubDiv 6 and SubDiv 7, H-5 participated in various training and battle exercises, with periodic overhauls at Mare Island. She departed San Francisco 25 July 1922 in company with both divisions and arrived at Norfolk 14 September. H-5 decommissioned at Norfolk on 20 October 1922. Her name was struck from the Navy List 26 February 1931. She was sold for scrapping 28 November 1933.