A long-winged, usually white, web-footed swimming bird having the lower mandible hooked.
(AM-74: dp. 410; l. 124'3"; b. 23'; dr. 10'8"; s. 9 k; a. 13")
Gull (AM-74), formerly trawler Boston College, was built by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, in 1928; acquired 30 August 1940; converted at the Boston Yards of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. 30 September 1940; and commissioned 3 December 1940, Lt. Comdr. Ernest L. Posey, USNR, in command.
Attached to the Inshore Patrol, Gull conducted mine-sweeping operations in Massachusetts Bay until 28 March 1941 when she sailed for Norfolk via Yorktown. Home-ported at Norfolk 6 April-26 August 1941, she operated along the Atlantic coast as far north as Boston until sailing the latter date for Argentia, Newfoundland, where she put in 4 September. Gull continued her exacting duties as a minesweeper at Argentia until the summer of 1944, calling at Boston for repairs as needed. She decommissioned at Quincy, Mass., 25 July 1944. Stricken, from the Navy List 22 August 1944, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 15 May 1946.