A city in Connecticut.
(PCE-900: dp. 640; l. 185'; b. 33'; dr. 9'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 96; a. 1 3", 3 40mm., 4 20mm., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. PCE-881)
PCE-900 was laid down by Willamette Iron & Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg., 11 January 1943; launched 11 August; sponsored by Mrs. Clara Goff; and commissioned at Portland 12 April 1945, Lt. Arthur Maddalena, Jr., in command.
After shakedown off the West Coast, PCE-900 departed San Pedro 5 June, arriving Pearl Harbor on the 13th. As the war still raged in the Western Pacific, she was assigned to plane guard station out of Pearl Harbor. Throughout the war and following the Japanese surrender, PCE-900 continued operations in the vicinity of Hawaii.
She remained in the Pacific for the next 3 years, then sailed to the East Coast for duties in the 1st Naval District. PCE-900 was assigned as a Naval Reserve training ship out of Boston, where she operated until 1955. She decommissioned 19 August 1955, and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet PCE-900 was named Groton 15 February 1956; and, after many years of productive service to the Navy, she was struck from the Navy List 1 February 1960.