Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Grosbeak

 

Any of several species of finches, having a thick, strong, conical bill.

 

III

 

(AMc-19; dp. 185; l. 812; dr. 9'8"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 16)

 

Grosbeak, the former wooden purse seiner Del Rio, was built by J. M. Martinac, Tacoma, Wash., in 1935; and commissioned 11 November 1940, Ens. T. F. Martin in command.

 

Following conversion to an auxiliary minesweeper at Alameda, Calif.. Grosbreak joined Mine Division 1 at San Francisco 16 April 1941. Her major duty was sweeping San Francisco Bay and nearby waters, but she was also used for training reserve and junior officers in small boat handling and minesweeping. Grosbeak decommissioned 12 September 1944. Her name was struck from the Navy List 14 October; and she was returned to her former owner at San Pedro, Calif., 2 April 1945.

 

__________

 

A contract for constructing Grosbeak (AM-397) was awarded Defoe Ship Building Co., Bay City, Mich., but cancelled 12 August 1945 before her keel had been laid.