A British name retained.
(DE-273: dp. 1,150; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 11'10"; s. 191/2 k.; cpl. 198; a. 3 3" 50 cal. cl. Evarts)
Grindall was launched as Sanders (DE-273) 4 June 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Sarah Sanders, widow of the ship's namesake, Chief Boatswain Eugene Thomas Sanders, who served in the U.S. Navy from 1919 to 7 December 1941 when he was killed in action in the Pacific.
Assigned to the United Kingdom under terms of lend-lease 10 June 1943 her name was changed to HMS Grindall.
Following service with the United Kingdom, Grindall was commissioned as DE-273 by the United States at Chatham, England, 20 August 1945, Lt. Burrill D. Barker, Jr., USNR, in command. As flagship of reconstituted Task Group 21.3 consisting of 10 lend-lease destroyer escorts, Grindall sailed from Chatham 28 August, arriving at Philadelphia 8 September 1945. She decommissioned there 19 October 1945; her name was struck from the Navy List 1 November 1945; and scrapped by the Philadelphia Navy Yard 28 May 1946.