A breed of tall, slender, swift hound with a narrow pointed head.
(IX-106: t. 3,731; l. 407'; b. 61'3"; dr. 18'; s. 15 k.)
Greyhound (IX-106) was built by the Delaware River Steamboat Co., Chester, Pa., in 1906; taken over by the Navy on the West Coast in 1918; and commissioned as Yale 25 March 1918. She saw extensive service shuttling troops across the English Channel until she decommissioned at the Bremerton Navy Yard in 1920. After 15 years of fast passenger service along the West Coast, Yale was laid up in 1935; in 1940 she was moved to Sitka, Alaska, where she served as a workers' dormitory. She was again acquired by the Navy 30 April 1943 and commissioned 8 August 1943, Lt. Comdr. W. N. VanDenbrugh, in command. She was named Greyhound 19 August 1943. After brief service Greyhound decommissioned 31 March 1944, and began duty as a floating barracks for personnel at various Puget Sound training schools. She was placed out of service on 9 March 1948 and her name was struck 18 June 1948. She was turned over to the Maritime Commission 12 November 1948 and placed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash, until 5 June 1949 when she was sold for scrapping.