A former name retained.
(SP-423: t. 84; l. 86'; b. 131/2 .'; dr. 4'; s. 10k.)
The first Gretchen was a motor boat taken over by the government for section patrol 30 July 1917 from its owner, Sylvanus Stokes. Found unsuited for patrol duties by the 5th Naval District, where she was assigned. Gretchen was returned to her owner 1 November 1917