Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Grenadier

 

A soft-finned deep sea fish with a long, tapering body and short, pointed tail.

 

II

 

(SS-525: dp. 1,570; l. 311'8"; b. 27'3"; dr. 15'3"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 76; a. 10 21" tt.; cl. Tench)

 

The second Grenadier (SS-525) was laid down by Boston Naval Shipyard, Boston, Mass., 8 February 1944; launched 10 February 1951; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Fitzgerald, wife of the first Grenadier's last skipper; and commissioned the same day, Comdr. Henry G. Reaves in command.

 

One of the first "Guppy" submarines, Grenadier was equipped with a snorkel to permit indefinite running in an awash condition. Grenadier proved the worth of this device during her shakedown. Returning from the Caribbean cruise, the new submarine made the 7-day voyage from Guantanamo Bay to New London, Conn., submerged. Almost 2 years of intensive training exercises out of New London were capped by her first yard overhaul at Philadelphia, extending from 16 December 1952 to 22 April 1953.

 

In June 1953 Grenadier participated in the annual midshipman cruise to Rio de Janeiro and other Brazilian ports. Returning to New London via the Caribbean, she then supported ASW exercises during November, as a carrier task force perfected its antisubmarine operations. Grenadier continued training and battle exercises along the New England coast and off the Virginia Capes and in August 1955 cruised to Montreal, Quebec, via the St. Lawrence River.

 

Grenadier departed New London 3 January 1956 on the first of several Mediterranean cruises. During a 3-month deployment she steamed throughout the Mediterranean and both showed the flag and participated in attack and antisubmarine exercises with various units of the 6th Fleet. On two subsequent Mediterranean deployments from 8 November 1957 to 27 January 1958, and from 10 April to 8 August 1962 she operated with the mighty 6th Fleet to bolster peace keeping operations in that troubled region of the world.

 

Between these cruises, the submarine participated in exercises along the East Coast and was a frequent visitor to Caribbean waters. Grenadier operated out of New London until 15 September 1959, she transferred to Key West, Fla. From there Grenadier served more frequently in the Caribbean, and also patrolled and held exercises along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of Florida.

 

While on special antisubmarine exercises in the North Atlantic on the morning of 29 May 1959, Grenadier, in company with a patrol plane, sighted and photographed a Russian submarine prowling the waters off Iceland. It was the first confirmed sighting of a Soviet submarine in the Atlantic.

 

Grenadier again confronted Russian ships when the Cuban missile crisis threatened nuclear war in October 1962. In company with Balao, Threadfin, Trutta, and Chopper, she formed part of the American fleet that blockaded and quarantined the Communist island. After the Russian offensive missiles were pulled out of Cuba, Grenadier was one of several ships dispatched to Cuba in November to assert and confirm America's rights and position there.

 

Since 1962 Grenadier has continued patrols and training operations out of Key West. Assigned to SubRon 12, she has participated in exercises along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean. In addition, she has provided valuable aid during the perfecting of advanced sonor and ASW equipment. She distinguished herself in 1966 gathering navigational data and other information in the Caribbean. She continues to serve the Atlantic Fleet into 1967.