A merchant name retained. (SP-3054: dp. 214; l. 133'8"; b. 20'; dph. 7'; s. 13 k.)
Gratitude (SP-3054), was built as a freight and passenger steamer at Philadelphia in 1880 and acquired by the Navy from her owners, Bennett's North Carolina Line, in April 1918, at Portsmouth, Va.
Gratitude operated as a passenger and freight steamer with a civilian crew in the Hampton Roads area. She was taken over by a Navy Captain and crew on a bare boat basis in October 1918, and continued her operations in the Norfolk area under the 5th Naval District. Gratitude was returned to her owner 15 September 1919 at Norfolk.