Grant County (LST-1174)
Grant County (LST-1174) (q.v.) was named after counties in 15 states of the United States. She was laid down on 15 March 1956 at Avondale, La., by the Avondale Marine Ways, Inc.; launched on 12 October 1956; sponsored by Mrs. John Martin Higgins; and commissioned on 17 December 1957, Lt. Comdr. R. B. Nichols in command.
Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, Grant County spent her entire active service operating off the east coast of the United States interspersed with deployments to the Caribbean and Mediterranean. Decommissioned on 15 January 1973, Grant County was transferred to the Brazilian Navy that same date where she served as Duque de Caxias (G-26).
Grant County (LST-1174), with pontoon causeway sections stowed along her sides.