Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Grand Rapids

 

A city in Michigan.

 

(PF-31: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3", 2 40mm.; cl. Tacoma)

 

Grand Rapids (PF-31), formerly designated PG-139, was launched by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wis., 10 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ted Booth; and commissioned 10 October 1944, Lt Comdr. T. F. Knoll, USCG, in command. The ship had been taken down the Mississippi River and outfitted at Plaque-mine, La., before being commissioned at New Orleans.

 

Outfitted as a weather ship, Grand Rapids sailed 17 October for Bermuda and her shakedown cruise, but was damaged at sea by a hurricane and returned to Algiers, La. for repairs. 'She proceeded toward Bermuda again 27 October, and after her shakedown training put in at Boston, 4 December 1944. Grand Rapids steamed out of Boston 6 January 1945 for duty as a weather picket ship off Newfoundland.

 

Grand Rapids operated as a weather ship out of Argentia until returning to Boston 6 June 1945. The ship soon sailed for her station 7 July, and continued sending vital weather reports for the north Atlantic area until finally returning to Boston 15 January 1946. Grand Rapids decommissioned at Boston 10 April 1946, was sold to Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., 14 April 1947, and subsequently scrapped.